Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Summer Break

It’s been a little over a week since I’ve been back here in California and life has been busy. The biggest part of this break has been the arrival of Hanako. Some people on her plane had been coughing a lot and sure enough she came down with a cold a few days after arriving in Fresno. Things like getting sick seem to occur like Murphey’s Law when you go on vacation. I’ve always had a good immune system and rarely get sick, so despite all of her coughing and being sick in bed, at least we’ve been able to watch a few simple movies in English and Japanese together. You don’t need to know Japanese to understand good comedy like in “8ji da yo! Zenin Shugo”. I’ve never seen a DVD of this show with English subtitles so creating one will be one of my pet projects. My list of things that I need to do is so long that I’ll probably get around to it after I retire.

I haven’t been completely slacking through this break though. I’ve been going through the “BRS Pathology 4th edition” text for about 2-3 hours every day to get a head start on the summer course. One of Hanako’s main goals was to study English while in America, and even though my English instruction is top-notch, whenever I’d teach her we’d get sidetracked in our conversations. I’ve enrolled her in an English course at the local adult school in the morning. While she studies English I study pathology, so it works out.

I imagine that when I take her sightseeing next week I’ll be taking my textbook as well. At least the BRS Pathology text is a lot thinner than the Robbins Pathology tome.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, just wanted to say Liz and I had a blast hanging out with Hanako and you at Starbucks. Was an absolute blast, and Hanako was very awesome. We can't wait to hang out again! Also, I want to apologize for the way I was talking. It occurred to me after the fact you were trying to help her with her English, and that's why you were talking slow, while I was just yammering on full-speed. I was a bit nervous, haha, my apologies :)

    Also, 日本はナンバーワンです!君たちは最高でした!再び皆さんと一緒にたむろして待つことができません!また、私はGoogle Translateは、この肉屋ではないことを願って...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dennis! We had a blast as well! It was good to get most of the gang together. No need for apologies. Hanako enjoyed it a lot as well. I think that she might be falling for your pretty eyes. Hanako will be leaving on Tuesday the 31st and I'll be heading out soon thereafter on June 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, okay, so there's still time for hanging out, then (hopefully, since you mentioned having a busy schedule). Ah, the pretty eyes comment. I realize I didn't say 'Thank you' to her for the compliment, but in all honesty I was so embarrassed because I don't usually get comments like that, so I didn't know how to respond, haha. Anywho, just let Liz or I know when would be a good time for a hang out, I'm sure we can work something out around your schedule :)

    ReplyDelete