Sunday, July 8, 2012

Week Three at UPMC Children's Hospital

Things are busy as usual and I can't believe that it's almost time for me to move again. Just when you think you've gotten something down it's already time to move on. In preparation for the move to Charleston, Prashant and I have switched off our internet at home. I don't usually make blog posts from wifi spots, but Einstein Bros will have to do this time. I can't complain about their bagels.

I've once again learned a lot while at Children's Hospital. To me, the most fascinating protocol that I've seen and participated in over there is 'tumor mapping'. It's actually much simpler than it sounds. I think that it makes a pathologist's job much more easy.

For larger cases at Children's Hospital, they take their normal photographs of the specimens, but then they add to the picture using photoshop. "What do they add?" you might ask. The PAs add lines and squares to indicate exactly where they took each section. The pathologist no longer has to struggle in their mind where each section came from. All they have to do is look at the picture and it will tell them, "Alright, slide 3F came from this part of the tumor. Ah, I see." Tumor mapping certainly takes more time to do, but if a pathologist's assistant has the time to spare, then it could really make the pathologist's life easier. That's what were here for!

Unfortunately, I will have to cut my post short this week. Take care everyone and keep on working hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment