Sunday, October 28, 2012

Week One at UPMC Shadyside Hospital

Our big monthly test for October has come and gone and it has been a heavy load lifted from our shoulders. This test was the last test on which we had specific reading assignments. The questions for our next test will come from any of the material that we've learned so far throughout this program. I believe that most of us are feeling confident now and we are prepared for most of what will come our way. To cram now for our next test would be an impossible task due to the amount of material that we've covered. Of course, I'll still be studying the material on some of my weaker areas, but rather than focusing on the specifics I'll be focusing on the general. Honestly, if I had the option to take our next monthly test as well as the ASCP certification exam tomorrow, I would go ahead and do it.

This last week at Shadyside I got the opportunity to handle many of the "gross-only" specimens that Shadyside gets. The ones that stick out the most in my mind are the femoral heads and knees, although there are many other smaller specimens as well. When doing many similar specimens over and over, the usefulness of templates cannot be overstated. What would be a 15 minutes job by free dictation is cut down into nearly 5 minutes. Each gross-only case is reviewed by the pathologist before being signed out, but it's up to the PAs to create not just the gross description, but also the final diagnosis and any comments that are needed. So long as my microphone doesn't mess up or my computer doesn't suddenly restart things should be smooth sailing.

Shadyside primarily handles two organ systems; genitourinary and bone/soft tissue. For the next three weeks I will be assigned to one and then the following three weeks I'll be assigned to the other. Shadyside Hospital is well known among the UPMC system for their entire examination of every prostatectomy. One of the special things that they perform is to strip the prostate capsule and examine it entirely for any tumor invasion. It ends up being a lot of blocks that need cutting, however you can't get any more thorough than examining the entire prostate. If ever I develop a malignancy in my prostate (which I hope not) then I might highly consider flying to Pittsburgh to get it taken out.

It's unfortunate that the apartment that I'm currently living in is on the other side of town from Shadyside. The commute to get there is the longest of all of my rotations. It will cut into my studying time but I'm sure I can make it work. A storm is coming in which is going to make traffic horrendous. If all goes well our car won't be blown off the bridge during our commute.

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting that the femoral head and knees are gross only. Where I worked before we always had to submit sections of our ortho specimens (both from replacement surgeries and spontaneous fractures). I wonder what the difference is? I would be curious to find out! :)

    I love grossing prostates, but you're right! The blocks really add up. The only time I've ever submitted over 100 blocks of anything was a prostate case (in fairness it was probably around 150 grams though!).

    Good luck not being blown away tomorrow, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thatgirl! Of course, if there's something peculiar about any femoral head or knee then we'll have to submit sections. It seems that every place does their specimens a little different. I've been often told that "There's more than one way to bake a cake."
    And 100 blocks is a ton! If I was that pathologist I think that my eyes would have bugged out.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete