Monday, September 3, 2012

Moving Back to Pittsburgh and a Pleasant Surprise

Our time at Thomas Memorial Hospital has come to an end and a new chapter will be opening at UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh. Thomas was a really great place, not just because of the wonderful people, but because it's a really great place to improve on one's speed. It was just the rotation that I needed.

At Thomas, us two PA students are in full charge of grossing the specimens. Of course, we always have the pathologists on hand to help us when we have questions, but it is up to us to complete all of the specimens before they have to go on the processor at 3 PM. The pressure is on for us to go as efficiently as possible and we find different ways to maximize our capabilities. The specimens are laid on on a counter for us to choose from and we can do them in any order so long as we finish them. In this way, we'd choose to save our messy specimens (gallbladders, placentas, etc...) for last and do our less messy specimens earlier. If we worked quickly and finished our specimens early then there were times where we could study or relax in the side office until the next batch of specimens came in. It really felt as if we were really working as PAs and not as students. Also, because the grossing stations were left up to us, our responsibilities were greater. No helpful fairy godmother was there to remind us to put a certain specimen in decal or to process a specimen a certain special way. We had to be on top of our game just as any other working PA. If given the opportunity, I would have chosen to work at Thomas until graduating at the end of December.

Besides having done relatively well on our monthly test, there has been another thing which has made me extremely happy. I have kept in contact with a laboratory in CA where I am from and I have recently received a call from them to have an interview in the near future. They are the same place where I first shadowed a pathologist's assistant. I was very impressed with their laboratory and if I am accepted for their position it would be like a dream come true. I'll be sure to write more as events develop.

In the meantime, there is a presentation that needs to be made and another not so distant test that needs to be studied for. Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. That is really awesome. Having a job lined up when you graduate is a big relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! But I haven't got it quite yet. I'll do my best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Forrest. Good luck on the position! I haven't been able to find too much information on ME settings, but here's a message I got from a senior PA when asking about it

    "You are going to be disappointed as was I when I found out this information. I absolutely loved my rotation at the medical examiner for 3 months- but in philly there are 2 positions tech and investigator. [...] I did here of ME offices hiring PA's. I heard the NYC office hired PA's- so I emailed one of the medical examiners over there. Turns out they do hire PA's- physician assistants not PA pathologists' assistants. So- my search kind of ended there. [...] THe only light in all of this is that there are a few jobs around the country - in hospitals- in which you can be a strictly autopsy PA- but they are dwindling as well- including mine here in philadelphia."

    If I hear anything else I'll let you know! Out of curiosity, how would you say the job market is for PAs? I've heard some say it's great (especially the further west you go), and some say that it is poor.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update Gary!

    As far as the job market is concerned, I'd have to say that jobs are definitely available, but you'll most likely need to move to another city or another state. The west and south west are good places to find employment as a PA. As time goes on, I believe that the job opportunities could become fewer. There seems to be a large number of new graduates entering into the field. Let's hope that the field doesn't become over-saturated!

    ReplyDelete