Saturday, April 28, 2012

Week Three at Allegheny General Hospital Surgical Pathology Laboratory

It's amazing that three weeks have already passed at Allegheny Hospital. I've had the opportunity to gross a wide variety of specimens and have gotten some much needed experience doing frozen sections. The residents have been very nice in letting me do their specimens and also in helping me out.

Another one of the good things that I like about the grossing system here that I like is that whenever you have a big specimen, you always need to get the 'blessing' of the attending. What that means is that whichever pathologist is going to be looking at the blocks that you make, you need to page them and have them come over before you begin your gross. They will ask for a clinical history and will advise you on what sections that they would like for you to take and how to process the specimen. It's great because you begin to think like the pathologists and after enough times you can predict what they are going to tell you. Of course, even if you already know what they are going to say, it's still important that you call them.

I had been studying for our end of the month exam so I was a little late in getting out this post, but I'm glad to say that I did quite well on it. Our reading material has gradually moved from about 50% pathology / 50% other (management, histology, autopsy, lab safety) to something more like 75% pathology / 25% other. It's time to open Robbins again and starting reading.

Also, this month I'll be working on a powerpoint presentation of pituitary pathology. I'm glad that I've mostly gotten the K-1 visa work out of the way, so now I have more time to devote to making a good presentation.

Because I was busy these past two weeks I'm thinking of writing another post while I can this weekend. So far this year, it seems that my posts have been largely about my personal experiences and less about practical topics of the "How to..." variety. It's about time I made another "How to..." post.


No comments:

Post a Comment