Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dress Code and Other Thoughts

I can't remember where but I learned a saying a long while back that goes something like, "The clothes that you wear are a reflection of your heart." Since then, I've tried to dress more appropriately for each situation. It's not a requirement at WVU that you dress formally, but my daily attire is usually a dress shirt with black slacks and black dress shoes. I probably dress more formally than other students here, but I've never felt the need to wear a tie as part of my daily routine. Many people here wear t-shirts, shorts or jeans to class, which is just fine with me. It's definitely more comfortable attire than what I wear. Students wearing scrubs or white lab coats are also commonly seen.

Friday we had two tests and tomorrow, Monday, we have another one. I'm about all studied out. It always seems that once you reach a threshold no amount of further studying is going to help you. I think of it as diminishing returns for each extra hour invested past your limit.

I never realized how big football here was until this summer. Walking around town on a game day is like entering another world. The sidewalks and parking lots become crowded with people dressed in blue and yellow and the smell of hot dogs permeates the air. Tailgating is almost like a religious ceremony here. I've never really been interested in watching sports or attending a sports game. My father follows sports intently, so I'm not sure why those genes weren't passed down onto me. Rather than watching other people play a sport, I'd rather just play the sport myself. I can't live my life vicariously through the players on the field. I enjoy my life too much to be concerned about whether a player can catch a ball 70 yards down the field with two opposing players trying to tackle him. Getting together with friends and family and enjoying watching a football game is perfectly fine. But I'd rather get together with friends and family and just have fun over a game of Texas hold'em, hearts or Egyptian War.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Forrest- Your professional attire is appreciated, hasn't gone unnoticed, and has even been commented upon by the Pathologists. I agree with your quote though, and also think that actions often follow appearance.

    Football is a culture unto itself here at WVU- I have never seen anything like it. It really needs to be experienced because it certainly can not be adequately described. Even for those who only slightly or moderately follow football, it is quite extraordinary here on game day. For good or bad, quite a lesson in human nature and behavior......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I'm glad to hear that others have taken notice of my attire. Even though I dress professionally, I still do have a bad habit of forgetting important times and dates.

    That makes me really wonder about specialization and absentmindedness. The more I focus in on something, the more the rest of the world seems to fade from my mind. To become a true professional, I'll need to keep on top of both of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what Outlook and smart phones are for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Forrest,

    What anon said is quite true! I rely on my Droid X to help me remember dates, and time. I could function with out it, but I don't think I would as efficient as I was with it.

    I also notice that when I started to change the way I dress my personality start to slightly change. That or I have just matured finally!

    ReplyDelete