Friday, September 16, 2011

How to Find an Apartment in Morgantown

This week we've had three tests and I'm glad that they are finally over with. I've been busy studying as usual, but so far this semester seems more easy going than the spring semester. I can't tell if it's because I've gotten used to living here or if the course material is actually easier to understand. This fall semester, on most days our classes finish at around 3PM, which is nice to get out early and head home for a little relaxation before studying.

I'd like to make a post about housing while studying in Morgantown. I am by no means a housing expert, so I'll just go off of the limited knowledge that I've gained over the past year. When I was first thinking about this post I was considering actually naming different housing complexes, but since I've never personally lived at those places I can't really give a good impression of them. I hope to instead give some resources on housing in general and things to consider just for Morgantown.

Before I start, it's best to know what the layout of the area surrounding the campus looks like. I've made this small map here. I know, I know, my skills with paint are enviable.
I've taken this image from Google Maps and added a few notes. You'll see the Health Science Center (HSC) right in the middle. To the west, north and east, I've put three black circles. These areas are preferable when choosing an apartment. They are relatively close to the campus and are quiet neighborhoods. I've placed a red circle with an 'X' in it towards the south. These houses are where mostly the undergraduates stay. The housing there can be really cheap if you are strapped for money, but it will be hard to concentrate on Friday and Saturday nights. Also, this part of the campus is a bit isolated from the HSC and you may have trouble getting to classes in a timely manner.
I've also added a bar at the lower left. I left my car back in California so I walk everywhere I go. If you intend to walk to class I would recommend keeping within 25 minutes walking distance of the HSC.

From my experience, average housing costs in Morgantown will be $550-$600 monthly. This includes all utilities and trash service. Cable and internet are usually separate. I've seen some places go for as low as $350, but they are usually located downtown and you need to share the apartment with two or three other people. I currently pay $450 for my place that I found on Craigslist, although I am roommates with my landlord.

On-Campus Medical Center Apartments
http://housing.wvu.edu/graduate_student_faculty_and_staff_housing/mca
The first place I looked into before I moved to Morgantown was the on-campus Medical Center Apartments for graduate students. The location can't be beat because it's right next to the Health Science Center where nearly all of your classes will be held. You can get from your apartment to class in under 5 minutes. However, there are a few drawbacks to staying here. From what I understand, you need to be on a waiting list to get in. It might be 6 months before you know for sure whether or not you've gotten in. The other drawback is the higher than average cost, which ranges from $627 to $758 per month.

WVU Off-Campus Housing Resource
http://studentlife.wvu.edu/OffCampusHousing/roommateswanted.htm
The WVU website has an awesome bulletin for people who are looking for or advertising a room. Students who have a place but want to find roommates commonly post on here. The number of advertised places usually goes up during the end of the semester when students are graduating and need someone to take over their leases.

Google
Just go to Google and type in 'Morgantown Apartments'. You'll find a list of commonly advertised places such as 'The District', 'West Run' or 'The Ridge'. I personally don't know any specifics of these places. Look to see if they fall within the black circles on the map I made above and if they do, then compare their rates.

Craigslist
http://morgantown.craigslist.org/
You might be hesitant to try Craiglist, but it has worked for me so far. Well, I've had mixed success. As you may well know from reading this blog, the first place I went to had bedbugs. I expect that no matter where you go, there will always be undesirable things that landlords will not tell you about. I believe that my place was an anomaly and since none of my classmates had that problem, I assume that Morgantown is relatively bedbug free.
There are two places that you'll want to check out on Craigslist. Under 'Housing' you'll find a link for 'apts / housing' and 'rooms / shared'. Both will have plenty of places to choose from. As always, use your judgment and check the address to find out if the location is close to campus or not.


There are just a few other things to note while living in Morgantown.
-If you are bringing your car, you need to know that driving can be a harrowing experience in winter. The roads can get a thin layer of ice on them and people routinely crash or get fender benders. In addition, there are some major hills with steep inclines. In the winter, going up and going down those hills can get scary. Traffic during these times can come to a standstill.
-Roads can also become clogged during the morning rush hour and afternoon rush hour traffic.
-If you are walking to school, during the winter you'll need boots and a good windbreaker.
-Public transportation in Morgantown, while nice, is not always available or on time. I've used the bus system plenty of times. It's usually on time, but there have been times where I've waited at a stop for 45 minutes and the bus has never come. So, I would suggest that you not rely on the bus to commute to school. Using the bus is better for getting to the Morgantown Mall or the University Town Center.
http://www.busride.org/
-The Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) is useful for getting around to the different campuses, such as going from the HSC to Downtown, but it's not all that useful for commuting to and from school.
-Bicycling in Morgantown is tough. The various hills make it difficult unless you have legs of steel. The HSC is located on a giant hill and it's a monster to climb. I would say that it's better to bike for recreation than to integrate it as part of your commute.

That's all for now. If I think up of anything else I'll be sure to post it here. You'll need to use a variety of resources to find your ideal place. There is no 'magic' place that is going to be super cheap, close to campus, quiet and furnished like a king's throne room. None of my classmates nor I have had a terribly difficult time with our living conditions, so there's no reason to fret about finding the perfect place. Happy house hunting!

5 comments:

  1. Forrest, I am impressed with your paint skills! Any graphic designer would be hard pressed to do better! I would just like to mention a couple of things to consider while looking for housing. Parking is extra. I am guessing it is around $125 a semester? If you are looking to save money, you might want to consider living closer to campus and walk. However, you should know that you will not have lockers. I found it very cumbersome to drag Robbins, COA, Netters, 2 laptops (don't ask), a change of cloths (lab days) and lunch with me everyday. Just things to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally! Someone has recognized my unrivaled drawing abilities.

    Those are some good points that you've mentioned. Parking costs are definitely a bother, but I'm sure that you'll encounter them at all Universities. Our PA director has been trying to get lockers for us PA students, and it just might be that the next class of students will get their own lockers or at least a class locker. It's not a guarantee but a definite possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! I have a blog that lists the best medical textbooks by subject. I am going to add your site to my blogroll.

    Here is mine: http://medschoolresources.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm starting this program in January and starting the apartment hunting process. I'm trying to find somewhere close to the Health Sciences campus; do you have any suggestions of good apartment complexes nearby? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting in the program Erica! It's been a while since I've been in Morgantown. If you can't find a complex to stay at, your other choice would be to check out Craigslist. I stayed at a nice lady's place while in Morgantown, but she does smoke and has cats. If you don't mind these things, I could recommend you to her.

    ReplyDelete