Thursday, April 7, 2011

More studying.

There are about 4 weeks left to go and another 10 or more tests to take. It's gonna be one of those 'last 100 meter dashes' type of deals. Despite all of the studying, the main thing that keeps coming back to my mind is how I'm going to spend summer vacation.

I'll be going back to California from May 8th until June 2nd. Not quite a whole month, but I've got to plan well because Hanako is coming over from Japan to live with me in California for that time. It's her first chance to go overseas and the first time we've seen each other in about 10 months, nearly a year. We'll need to make up for lost time, but also, I need to start planning now what parts of America that I want her to see. Even though she is a little introverted, I can't just have her cooped up inside the house the entire time. I'm definitely set on showing her Yosemite and San Francisco. My finances are especially tight, so I'll see what magic I can weave to get the most value for the dollar.

Which reminds me, it has been unclear to me so far how much our tuition at WVU *really* is. According to the WVU 'Cost of Attendance' pdf file, for the year 2010-2011 it shows that Pathologists' Assistants pay $23,964 for the year. Now, my spring semester fees and tuition were already $11,982, which makes sense because that's half of $23,964. BUT, we also have 12 units of summer courses. I have not received any information on whether we will be paying summer school fees, but if we do, it will be over $10,000 for us out-of-state students.

If this turns out to be the case, I will be extremely pissed. I would even go as far as to say that it is false advertising and I will definitely be complaining. The AAPA brochure also says that the WVU Program for 2 years is approximately $40,000. $47,928 (twice $23,964) I can handle. $67,928 is outright robbery and I will be raising my voice. Hopefully, this will all be cleared up soon enough and I can stop worrying about money and start worrying about tests as I should be.

6 comments:

  1. Have you talked to the Financial Aid department to get clarification at all? I know at Duke our tuition is around $8,000 for Spring, Summer and Fall and financial aid is dispersed three times a year as a result.


    Have fun on your break! My husband and I did the very long distance relationship thing before we were married and it was rough but really made us appreciate our time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool! I will be looking forward to meeting Hanako.

    I wish I was more attentive to my finances when I was getting my AS, as they charged me more then they should have. Good on you for make sure they they stay honest about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Supertammy. I just went to the Financial Aid Office and found out the 'hidden' cost. I say that because the summer tuition and fees are not shown on the WVU Cost of Attendance form. It turns out that for out of state students, summer tuition and fees are going to be $3756 for 2011. Bummer, but it definitely could have been worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Chris. I've been hoodwinked before and I won't let it happen again. 'Fool me once' so to say.

    As the economy gets worse, the going is going to get rougher and more people will try to take you for what you have. Just the other day my brother's iPod Touch was stolen from inside his car!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (ハム゜Д゜子)April 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM

    あれ?よく見たら私の名前が・・・(゜Д゜)
    ふむふむ。なるほど。
    ・・・何が書いてあるのか分かりません\(^o^)/(爆)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 書いてある言葉は人生の秘密だ。

    ReplyDelete