Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Most Important Thing You Can Do To Prepare For PA School

It's been nearly one month since entering into this pathologists' assistant program and I can say that right after you receive your acceptance letter, the one thing that you should do above all others is...

A) tell your friends and family that you got accepted.
B) celebrate by drinking your favorite alcoholic drink.
C) study anatomy right away in preparation for classes.







The correct answer is:

C) STUDY ANATOMY!


It's so simple and doable. Anatomy will be the class that takes the majority of your study time during the first semester and studying anatomy on your own is very doable. There are few concepts that only a teacher can teach. Much of it is memorization of muscles, bones, nerves, vessels, landmarks, ligaments, joints, glands, ducts and so forth. If you begin anatomy with a head start, you'll save time, get more sleep and be less cranky.

For about one month, before classes started, I self-studied anatomy off of the internet. There are a variety of sites you can go to and I've included some on the links bar to the right that are my favorite. Our first test in anatomy covered the shoulders, arms, forearms and hands. Because I had already studied those areas, there were only a few areas that I needed to brush up on. I was able to focus more of my energy on my other classes like pathology.
Now, we are covering the head and neck. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to get to studying the head and neck before classes started. Now, the pressure is definitely on, as most of what we've been learning for our second test is mostly new material to me. My studying time on anatomy has gone up to 6 hours last Saturday and 5 hours last Sunday. Even still, I'm behind on my reading assignments. (It's also been said that there's as much information about the human body above the neck as there is below the neck, so that's just dandy.)

As your vanguard into anatomy, I beseech you to study anatomy before starting! Your brain will thank you. The gnashing of teeth awaits those who don't prepare.



No comments:

Post a Comment