Saturday, January 8, 2011

Orientation

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Pathologists' Assistant Program at WVU does hold a two-day orientation for incoming students. Holding an orientation may not be practical for other master's programs, but when one considers that many different people from all over the country are coming together to a foreign city, it seems prudent. Due to the small class sizes, as we progress through the year I expect that we'll become more and more of a tightly knit "family" and this kind of an orientation more easily facilitates becoming acquainted with each other.

Whenever a dozen or so strangers are put into a room for the first time, it's no surprise that people may be tense and their minds scrambling to find anything at all to say to keep the dread of silence away. We started off with breakfast and an ice-breaker game to get to know a little more about each of the 16 of us. It may seem cliche, but you really can't judge a book by its cover. My classmates and I are like books and although we've read the first chapter of everyone's book (the ice-breaker game), only by spending a year or so with each other will we really see what makes each of us tick. I definitely look forward to getting to know everyone better.

After the usual syllabus review and tour of the facilities we received our laptops. It looks like every student at the health science center is required to have the same standardized laptop for classes and tests. I can imagine that this is the kind of laptop that The Jetsons would use since there are so many functions. It's mind boggling. I'll probably never even use half of the things that this thing is capable of. It's too early to say what I think of the Jetsons' laptop, but at nearly $2000 a pop, it had better be worth it.

The next day, we had lunch and attended a few more lectures regarding laboratory safety, using the library, etc... WVU is unique in that it is not only a university, it is also a miniature theme park. The PRT (Personal Rapid Transit) system is like a caboose on wheels and it can shuttle you between different parts of the campus in just a minute or two. Since the area is hilly, you get a nice little roller coaster ride whenever you want to go between campuses. No air time though. Too bad. The day ended with dinner at a nice restaurant.

The program directors really took good care of us these past two days. Perhaps, too good, since now I've got to be conscious of how much I eat at all of these mini-buffets they have been providing us with. No complaints here.

---------------------

Classes start on Monday. I'm glad that I was able to complete up through dissection 19 of 32 on the University of Michigan Medical Gross Anatomy online course, but if I didn't have to study for the GRE I would have already finished it. One more reason to hate tests that hold no relevance to what one studies.

---------------------

I should also mention that we completed an online HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) training course. Those who work in the field of health care need to be aware of the rules and regulations concerning patient information. (The rules are fairly intuitive, but it makes you feel like you're working in some sort of top-secret facility where one slip of the tongue can lead to nuclear winter. I can imagine walking down the hallway and seeing one of those wartime posters of "How about a nice big cup of ___?" ) In any case, the proper handling of patient information is essential to top quality patient oriented medical care, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

A training module on HIPAA can be found here:
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/training/index.html

10 comments:

  1. Sound like you are enjoying it so far, and that is good to hear.
    I work in the health care industry, and I deal with HIPPA alot, and it is a truly painful to work with, but I do believe that is is a good thing because of the protection it put in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely be busy studying but I'm sure it'll be fun all the while.
    I bet that since you're working with computers and data you need to be especially careful of what you send out and to whom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correct! I work with alot of peoples data, and if a file goes into the wrong folder, that is a HIPPA violation. So while it is unforgiving, it needs to be because sometimes you need to get hurt to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're hitting the ground running, Forrest! I hope things go awesome for you.

    Just don't brain fry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things are awesome! As long as I stay on top of the 400+ pages needed to be read per week, I'll be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a lot of reading to be constantly soaking in. I'm no expert, but there comes a point where the brain can absorb only so much information and actually retain it. I hope they're taking that into account.

    Reading doesn't always equate to learning. Hope things keep being awesome, and again, try not to brain fry :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 頑張れ、フォレちゃん!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Dennis

    You're right. Reading page after page is like a person struggling and straining to push junk into a room through one door without having closed the door at the opposite side. (In one ear-out the other.)

    After reading I spend quite a bit of time studying the power point lectures and notes that the professors have given to us. Though for certain classes we're responsible for everything, both in the lectures and the textbooks, I mostly skim the textbook and use the notes for the bulk of my studying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comment pro! Looks like a good site to review GRE material.

    One of my big complaints is that many of these schools still require applicants to take the GRE, but it looks like for now we've got to live with it.

    ReplyDelete