Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Modern Ambrosia: Resveratrol


A couple of years ago, I had done a little research on caloric restriction during my undergraduate animal physiology class and came across this sweet little polyphenol. It turns out that when mice fed on a high fat diet take resveratrol, they lived significantly longer than mice just fed on the high fat diet. The mice on resveratrol were also more energetic, weighed less and were healthier. Could this work for humans as well? If the rewards are greater longevity, more energy, better cognition and fooling people to think that you're 60 when you're really 80, count me in.

Whether this will really work or not is anybody's guess. I've started off this morning on my first pill of 100mg. Resveratrol has been associated with a number of side effects, but I'm happy to say that I don't feel any different, yet.

You can watch the famous 60 Minutes episode that put more fire on the craze.
Wine Rx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3TGKOQeTrc

Wikipedia: Resveratrol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

Resveratrol is also found in red wine and may play a part in the "French-Paradox". (The French have a diet higher in fat than Americans yet manage to stay healthier and live longer). I'll say, taking a pill sure beats drinking gallons and gallons of red wine to get the same amount.

3 comments:

  1. I am currently reading a book by Gary Taubes "Why we get fat, and what to do about it". I am so far enjoying it as it has opened my eyes to some myths of weight loss. I think yo may enjoy it also.
    "Why we get fat" is a water down version of his previous book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" in which he go into more detail about the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting read. Weight gain and weight loss isn't as simple as 'calories in vs calories out'.
    I remember watching a TV show where participants in the study all ate an insane amount of calories everyday. They all had the same amount of calories and the same amount of physical activity. Some participants gained more weight than others and one individual in particular hardly gained any weight at all! They measured his metabolic rate by putting him in a bubble and measuring his body temperature. His body responded to excess calorie intake by revving up his body temperature! Talk about winning the genetic lottery jackpot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me realizing that was kind of heartbreaking at the same time, the eye opening experience.
    It help me understand why I was not losing weight while working out, and reducing my calorie intake.
    I think I will be picking up his other book because I want to know about the history, and the science behind his thoughts.

    ReplyDelete